The 2020 climbing season is booked, reservations for the 2021 season will start in December 2020.
The climb season starts the first weekend of January and ends the last weekend of July.
Make sure and fill out the forms legibly with all information requested.
The fee to climb Culebra and or Red Mountain is $150.00 per person.
For reservation please copy the Credit Card Authorization form and Waiver. email them back to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a notification by text once your reservation has been made.
Make sure and include your cell phone number on the credit card form so that you will receive your notification.
Please note that no dogs and no non-climbers are allowed on the Ranch and that the road to the Culebra trail head requires 4wd.
The gate opens for climbers at 6:00 AM at the North Headquarters gate to the ranch. Climbers will drive up to the headquarters for instructions.
At 6:15 AM, the gate will be locked, and if a climber is not there at that time, that person forfeits his/her spot for the climb.
IF YOU HAVE A PARTY OF CLIMBERS, PLEASE HAVE EACH INDIVIDUAL SIGN IN FOR AN INDIVIDUAL RESERVATION. THIS KEEPS US FROM BEING OVERBOOKED AND IS NECESSARY FOR OUR RECORDING SYSTEM. IF YOU HAVE A SPOT TRACKER OR CELL PHONE, BRING THEM ALONG. CELL COVERAGE DOES EXIST ON THE PEAK.
Please note that you must sign out no later than 6:00 pm. If all climbers have not signed out by 6:00 pm, Cielo Vista Ranch will consider the situation an emergency and will begin emergency procedures. Any climber that fails to sign out when leaving the Ranch or leaves the Ranch after 6:00 pm agrees to make a $100.00 contribution to The Costilla County Search & Rescue. If anyone is under 18 years of age we will require a “Minor” Liability Waiver form which will be provided upon notification.
Climbing and hiking will become accessible every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from January through the last weekend of July 2020. Reservations will be made in advance during the winter season. Your reservation may be canceled at any time or prior to the trip, due to unsafe weather conditions. A member of our CRV staff will contact you to discuss safety conditions and cancellations. If in the event that your reservation cannot be rescheduled, a refund will be made. When a reservation is rescheduled it can only be rescheduled during that climb season if there is something available. Rescheduling can not be rolled into the following year.
Names of climbers are needed when making a reservation.
Failure to have a signed waiver turned in may result in you not being allowed on the property and your climb will not be refunded. PLEASE NOTE: 2021 CLIMBING RESERVATIONS WILL BEGIN December 1 2020 ON THIS SITE.
When you arrive the evening before your climb you can climb over the fence to set up your tent in the designated camping spot. If you are car camping you will park your vehicle on the outside of the gate. The morning of the climb the gate will be open to allow climbers to drive up approximately 2 miles to the headquarters where they will be given instructions prior to the climb.
Culebra Peak offers a unique climbing experience. Unlike any other Fourteener in Colorado, hiking impacts are largely absent – Culebra is essentially “untrailed”. In order to preserve its pristine condition, please follow these climbing guidelines and Procedures:
- Ascend and descend on a different route in order to minimize impacts to the mountain.
- Disperse while hiking. In order to protect sensitive alpine plant communities, avoid hiking single file or along existing trampled routes.
- While hiking, try to step only on durable surfaces, such as rocks, in order to protect sensitive alpine plant communities. Don’t walk along the edge of melting snowfields or other areas where the soils are wet. Many alpine soils are over 5,000 years old, and alpine plants grow very slowly in the harsh climate and short growing season on Fourteeners.
- Refrain from feeding animals or picking wildflowers. Leave what you find.
- Bury all human waste below treeline, not in the tundra. Pack out all the material that you carry in. Refer to the “Guide for Leaving No Trace on Colorado’s Highest Peak” for additional information.
SUMMER CLIMBS WILL BEGIN DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF SNOW. RESERVATIONS WILL BEGIN TO BE TAKEN STARTING DECEMBER 1, 2020. PLEASE NOTE THAT DEPENDING ON SNOW CONDITIONS THE EARLIER JUNE CLIMBS MAY START FROM THE HEADQUARTERS UNLESS A SAFE PARKING AREA CAN BE REACHED. THANKS
1. IF WE CANCEL:
Option: 1. reschedule.
2. If reschedule is not possible, then refund.
IF CLIMBER CANCELS:
1. before 3 days> We will reschedule
2. w/i 3 days, no refund, unless there are exigent circumstances.
We appreciate your cooperation and hope you have an enjoyable and safe time on Cielo Vista Ranch.
FOR WINTER CLIMBS – Due to the inherent dangers of a winter climb, we reserve the right to cancel access to Culebra and/or Red Mountain at any time including day of climb!